Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What does your package look like?

My eight year old daughter came down for breakfast this morning in an incredibly sophisticated layering and accessorized look that told a story about her eye for fashion. I told her she looked terrific and commented on all of the specific details—the layering of her two shirts, the cute belt, the leggings. She said to me “it is important to think about what you look like mommy!”. This is her 8 (just turned) year old view. Perhaps informed by people around her or from watching her parents head of to work in suits every day.

I recently interviewed someone who came into my office for the interview but left her A game at home. The way she presented herself distracted me from her otherwise stellar resume, chock full of experience. I wondered, if this was the way she showed up for an interview, where would things go from here? Could I put her in front of a client? Could she convincingly lead a team of people? Her presentation said something about her confidence in herself and ultimately my confidence (or lack thereof) in her. Oh, and I would have loved to have seen a video bio of her in advance of the interview-- perhaps she may have given more thought to her presentation in that then in person? Hmmmm.

Personal presentation is important. Don’t let anyone tell you differently. Now, it sometimes gets confusing when we are trying to strike that balance between being real and looking overly polished or scripted, but, a professional, well put together presentation of self is critical in convincingly showcasing your whole package.

I spend 90% of my time out there presenting my company to investors and clients--a tough, unforgiving audience who are expecting big things from a CEO. I need to deliver on these expectations both in the way I present myself and in the content I am sharing. If I have great content but don’t present it and myself in a way that knocks their socks off, I won’t be memorable and I may lose an opportunity. In today’s market, the stakes are high and you need every tool in your toolkit to stand out. Make sure the packaging matches contents inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment